Sunday 5 April 2015

My health problem - Asthma

First of all, happy easter, everyone!
Now, I want to talk about something serious and personal that has affected my life since I was born - asthma.
I've had asthma all my life. I'm sure everyone knows what it is, but to give a quick explanation, it's a chronic disease involving the airways in the lungs. Basically, when you have an asthma attack, you can't breathe, which is pretty scary. For most of the people that have asthma, allergies are what triggers it. For me... well, honestly, I don't know exactly what triggers. I was tested for all types of allergies and I have none. My 'experience' with this tells me that what triggers is when the climate changes abruptly. One day is really cold, but in the other it's a summer day, and that's not really good for my health.
I'm talking about this today, because yesterday I went to the urgencies with a severe asthma attack. Fortunately for me, I'm so used to it, I was calm, but I felt horrible. I was always coughing (my chest hurts a lot because of that), gasping for air some times... horrible, I'm telling you. The doctors were amazing, super nice and treated me as soon as I got in.
Thankfully, I don't have attacks frequently. When I was little, I had one every week or every month. There was one time that the school bus had to stop so my parents could pick me up and take me to the hospital because I was having one. Other time, when I was around seven, I went to the urgencies at night and just got out in the morning... and saw a man dying in front of me. Not the best scenario. I was always in and out of the hospital, so believe me when I tell you I have A LOT of stories.
I don't think people know how serious asthma can be. The desperation when you're coughing and you can't breathe because of it, but you can't stop the cough... I can't even describe what I feel. And when I try to take a deep breath, it hurts so bad that I start coughing again.
I have every type of treatment, here in my house.An inhaler, a nebulizer machine, antihistamines... Name it, I have it.
What about you? Do you have asthma or know anyone that has it? Do you have any health problem that disturbs you?



I hope you're having a lovely day! ♥

4 comments :

  1. That sounds so scary. I hope you are doing better. It sounds like you already have a lot in your home, but maybe you should try a diffuser with essential oils. I know eucalyptus oil is good for respiratory issues. And lavender is good for relaxing while you recover. I hope you're feeling better.

    Laura
    https://laurahager.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost recovered, thankfully! I will definitely check that out, thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't have asthma, but I remember one time in gym class a girl passed out because of it. I had no idea what was going on or why. I think it'd be helpful if they educated us a bit more about it. Wishing you the best! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! I'm lucky enough to know how to control my breathing, but there are a lot of people with asthma that panic and can't do it and no one knows how to help in that situation!
      Thank you so much! xx

      Delete